Autumn

Autumn

Monday, November 28, 2011

Couldn't be bothered so I didn't...

In keeping with my new philosophy of taking it easy I have been very lazy these past few days.  I didn't cook, clean or wash. I sat around the house and read books, started knitting a scarf and played some games.  I also spent time sitting outside on the patio watching the garden grow as a result of some heavy rain the other day.

My Hibiscus
One of the Gazanias


Irises in bloom at twilight...


In short I did very little.  I did notice though that the corn is now about to crop....











 The Agapanthus is flowering


And the garden is slowing filling out as we recover from the drought.  Yes the fences need replacing too....

And the tomatoes in the pots are fruiting...












With my son away on Schoolies Week (spring break to our US friends) there didn't seem any pressing need to do much at all.  But last night he called to say he would be returning early as he was bored.  I was surprised and felt some conflicting emotions.  I had missed him but I had not missed having the responsibility of him - I hope this makes sense.  Hubby and I could just fend for ourselves for meals.  But if a child is in the house you feel compelled to take care of them and ensure they get good food and their clothes are clean.

I took out a piece of topside beef to thaw so I could make a pot roast for him.  This morning hubby and I got to work vacuuming the house, given that the dust fuzzies were not pretty, and generally sprucing up after our 6 days of lazy peace.  By 11.30 my son's car appeared in the driveway.  As I was not quite finished the housework when he came in, and I was not up to talking over the sound of the vacuum cleaner hubby was wielding, we agreed to talk in a few minutes.  In the meantime he asked me what he could do to help.

After I picked myself up off the floor I told him to unpack his washing and put that in the laundry, then take the rest upstairs to put away.  While up there he was to make up his bed as I had stripped it and washed the sheets.   When he came back down he helped hubby swap out the table in the kitchen with a smaller one I had bought on ebay to give us more room.  While they did that I grabbed a quick shower then came down and made us all a simple sandwich lunch.

I am building to something here so bear with me.

The long and short of it was this.  Having gone to the beach for 'schoolies' to celebrate completing high school, and finishing exams, with a group of friends; and, being amply supplied with alcohol and other essentials - I didn't ask - he discovered several life lessons.

  1. Mum may nag a bit - HIS words - but at least the house is clean.  Apparently no one at the beach house knew how to clean anything.
  2. Mum cooks good food - he was sick of eggs on toast, chilli dogs and 2 minute noodles which was all anyone wanted to cook at the beach house.  AND they didn't even do them right apparently...
  3. There is only so much alcohol you can drink before you feel sick!!  (I secretly cheered)
  4. Mum may nag a bit - yes he repeated it - but at least he has learned how to cook and clean up after himself.  
  5. Home is good and he missed it.
  6. Home is good and he missed ME!!!! (heart stopper that one!)

I was so full of love and joy and then the axe fell.......

Conclusion:  He is never moving out of home !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Crap!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my, this is just wonderful, you have shined like a blazing star as a mother, and here is your confirmation, my friend!! Well done, well done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teach him to cook and suggest he live in the resort area of your choice so you can visit often. Uh huh, let me know how that goes ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kimmy you are so good for my ego... and my soul!! Big hug for you!!

    Kelly - that is the best idea I have ever heard in my entire life. The resort idea I mean. He already cooks. But that resort idea....my mind is racing a hundred miles an hour now LMAO. Brilliant girl, just brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good story. I wouldn't worry too much. It doesn't take them long to forget how much they appreciate mom.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...