Autumn

Autumn

Monday, November 21, 2011

I can believe if I want to...or not...

 Ok so now I officially hate Twitter - except for the fact that my daughter uses it and has a considerable fan base - she is a comedian and writer and I love to read her stuff.  But now I wonder if I need to poison myself with the effluence of various pompous archetypes.

Here's how one converstation has gone so far......


Twitterguy: You can believe in Ayn Rand or you can believe in Jesus but you don't ever, ever get to believe in both. (huh?  Says who?  And says who that we need to believe in either?  OMG Rand and Jesus???)

Me you say this as if there is no 3rd choice. But there is always another choice if we are brave enough (meaning that we can choose neither - there's a thought)

Twitterguy I can't speak for ******** but I disagree that one can make the teachings of Ayn and Jesus congruous, courage or no. (huh what? Clearly he did not understand me - evident of his narrow perceptions)

Me: Congruity was the furthest thing from my mind. For my agnostic head they are equally unfulfilling. I dare to dismiss both. (meaning I don't wish to subscribe to either of those)

Twitter guy:  Ah, yes. Well there are many of that kind of 3rd ways. (can  you hear the sarcasm ooozing from him? 'that kind'.  What kind?) Agnosticism for me was born of fear and weak self-centeredness, not bravery (just dripping with sarcastic self-righteousness is it not? Maybe someone should remind him that many people have also died because they never subscribed to either a religion or other position)

Me @ Twitterguy :  wow, do you need a hug or what? (glib, I know) Whatever happened to discussion and debate. You threw yourself into that volcano tootsweet (I mean he jumped right on it like a rabid dog...geez)

That's it so far.  I am almost scared to look again... maybe I won't.  But knowing me, I will.

Ayn Rand? I mean come on!  Although, one of my favourite Fantasy writers seems to be a disciple of Rand's I just can't subscribe to someone whose philosophy in life is so compasionless and so presumptious.  I wonder how Ayn would have felt if she had had a child who was disabled or maimed in some way. Maybe she did - I should go back and re- read the biographical stuff on her, coz I just can't remember.  I am a Darwinist in terms of natural selection and survival of the fittest - so I get where Ayn is coming from.  But sentience is what makes us human, as does compassion, intelligence and empathy.  Letting the weak perish in favour of the strong seems not only heartless but also stupid.  Case in point - Stephen Hawking. 

It's like any philosophical, religious or political discussion - there is always some element of merit on all sides.  If only we could distill all the good stuff and dump the rest.  And if only we could grow and evolve our beliefs as quickly and as easily as our lives.  Then we wouldn't be labouring under antiquated constitutions and religions that discriminate against anything the original authors weren't able to anticipate (gay marriage, women's rights, equality, technology, IVF etc etc).

The problem with the world is not thought and argument. The problem is blinkered proselytisers who can see no shade in anything.  The type of people who are so strident on everyone else, but whose own lives, I am absolutely certain, hold many imperfections.

We rail and and we rant against fanatics.  But in the very act of that savage assessment we become ourselves fanatics.  I am so sick of the holier-than-thou types.  These are the most dangerous people in the world.  And some of them live next door.  And some of them are on Twitter. And some of them actually have power to do a lot of harm.

So I called myself an Agnostic!  So what?  I am of greek descent and I know what the word actually means.  It comes from the word agnosto, which means 'unknown'.  So to be an agnostic means that we simply acknowledge that we just don't know!  That's all.  In fact, since the age of 2, I was raised an atheist and, heaven forbid, a leftie.  But I never was fanatical about any of it.  I just want to be fair and receptive.  Sometimes I may scoff internally.  And sometimes I might debate the merits of religion in the world - but I debate, not argue.  I discuss not attack.  I walk away unconvinced but open minded. And, I respect other people's beliefs as long as they are not hurting me or anyone else.  At my friend's funeral I lit 2 candles in the Church at the request of my kids. One for each of them and in honour of my departed friend.  I did it.  That does not compromise my own belief system. I just demonstrated that I can show respect.

This Twitter character basicly called me a coward.  I think it is more cowardly to accept someone else's beliefs and tenents unquestioningly and then bully people who want to think it through for themselves.

I will even confess to you now that he is not a little bit scary to me.  I made what I thought was a simple comment.  He attacked.  Why attack?  How the hell are you going to make friends and supporters if you attack people?  In some way it is reassuring because people like that will cluster together, but there will never be too many of them.  At least I hope.

In this age of soundbites, and tweets are we losing the art of discussion?  With so few characters in which to express ourselves are we going for the jugular in the first salvo?  It sure feels that way to me. It feels like the lazy way to me.  I grew up in a politicised household where discussions would go well into the night; where friends came to our house to talk; where the smoke filled the room and the coffee cups piled up on the tables with the ashtrays.  I grew up in a house where political figures who played key roles in Australian politics where regulars.  I loved, beyond description, the constructs of those discussions.  I could almost see the physical manifestation of their rhythm.  To this day I can debate a circle around you if you let me - even if I am not familiar with the subject matter.  Ask my hubby - or my boss! It is not what you say but how you construct the trap!  It is a thing of beauty.  And even more so when you construct the trap and fall through your own trapdoor!!  I love it when someone bests me in a debate.  But it has to be a debate not a slanging match - that's no fun at all.

I find it offensive that a perfect stranger, who knows nothing about me (oh if only he did, coz I think he would need a change of undies right about now!) can label me a coward.  He should be scared.  He should be very scared. I could crochet him right into a corner if he doesn't watch out!!  Maybe I will at that!

Am I crazy?
  

7 comments:

  1. Not a bit. The minute someone say's 'you're either for us or against us' I turn away. If we can't acknowledge shades of grey, then we probably don't need empathy and understanding.
    I loved this post Marlia.
    Cheers to you! -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the woman..I'm standing right here with you and Gene Pool Diva!!! Awesome stuff, GF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Problem for me Kelly is that I am like a bull - wave the red rag and I charge - just can't help myself.

    Kimmy thanks.

    p.s. ladies - he has replied but I have not read it yet LOL - let him think he has won for a couple of days - then 'wham'! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are NOT crazy! I'll be back in a little while-I'm off to a parent-teacher conference. I'll give more far-reaching, valuable feedback (or some of my usual crap) upon my return.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Told you I'd be back. That Twitter Guy sounds like one of the most closed-minded people I've heard in a long time. Rand and Jesus? I'm with you-I don't think I've ever heard those two put together in the same sentence. I really think I'm like you. I love the art of the debate and cannot abide those who hold to their points of view like Michael Moore to the last chicken bone. While I am officially a Christian, I see true merit in agnosticism. Actually, "I don't know" seems, to me at least, intellectually honest. Or, "I'm not sure" (not the root of the word, true, but closer to my beliefs). Just because I was born a Catholic and the other guy was born a Buddhist doesn't mean he's going to hell. I think what's truly important is how you live your life and how "nice you play with others." Harps, clouds, wings, etc are all things we've created to make any notion of an afterlife more familiar. In short, bravo to you for sticking to your "shades of gray" philosophy! You are no coward; in fact, you're braver than most.
    Okay, since this is coming from me, I have to throw in a joke (it's an old one and not mine, but I like it):
    Religious Dude: So, what faith are you?
    Atheist: I'm an atheist.
    RD: No kidding? Really??
    A: Swear to God.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Al - you are a gem!!! Both for your support AND for that Joke LOL.

    I like your point - I hereby coin the "philosophy of the grey" and initiate the Grey Movement. Suits me in more ways than 1. Now I am inpsired for another post. Thank you!

    M

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...