Autumn

Autumn

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

The black and white of it.....

These past 3 days the temperature has been in the high 30s (90s F) and yesterday we cracked 40 (104).

It was danged HOT.  And as I wilted the world of nature exploded.


My Black Hoya erupted in dozens of glorious pods with a delicate aroma.  This plant has been in a 50cm square pot for 15 years.  It is root bound beyond comprehension and yet every year this is what I get.  I want so much to repot or transplant it but I am scared I will destroy it.  Is it possible to feel sad for a plant.  I worry that it is suffering in the pot. I worry that it sometimes dries out and doesnt exactly look healthy each year.  It has covered the wall of the front porch and has even woven itself behind the gutters.  I don't care.  I love it and it stays!



At least I had the presence of mind to put up a trellis when I first sited it there.

Hoya flowers from the same flower spike every year.  The spike (no idea what the proper word for it is) grows by one layer each year.  So you can see in the pic below here that I do not lie when I say it has been there for 15 years.



new growth flowering as it hangs in the air looking for purchase.










  In contrast is this white hydrangea flowers from new growth each year. It needs to be pruned and pruned hard but it gives its all in gratitude.


When I am sad I turn to plants.  When I am mad I turn to plants.  And when I am happy I return to plants.

What a wonderful planet we have.  These next 3 pics are from a friend's house where I spent the gap between christmas and New Year.  These are her views......... what bliss!





7 comments:

  1. I love your flower garden and pictures of nature's beauty. I really wish I had a green thumb but unfortunately, not even close. Gardening is not one of my talents. I'll just have to enjoy yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat thank you. I always marvel at home determined the natural world is to survive and grow.

    cheers
    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I have never seen a Black Hoya before...reminds me of a hydrangea. Love the way you turn to nature...I turn to nature and pets for the same reason. :)
    I am sorry - I thought I had already joined your blog, but I guess I didn't! Followed today. Happy New Year, Marlia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow these are so pretty. Thanks for the kind comment in my blog.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn - it is not common. Wish you were in Oz I would make you a cutting. Cheers

    Paps - you deserved the comment. You have a beautiful soul AND you are stunningly beautiful on the outside too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a green thumb, but I suspect your Hoya would do fine with a repot. She sure is a gorgeous bloomer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Kelly - but the green thumb thing is a myth - its more of a persistent thumb....

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...