Autumn

Autumn

Monday, January 30, 2012

The Holiday is O V E R!

Yes it is.  It is soooooo over that I will be going to bed at 9.30 tonight and crying myself to sleep.

After 10 months at home on Long service Leave - (I love Australia) I went back to work today.

I had a gazillion resolutions about how I would act and what I planned to do with things when I got there.  Most important I had resolved to keep my cool and present a more composed and dignified persona.

I was picked up by a colleague who was filling in for me and had my work car.  I lasted till we got to the office carpark and I saw a car parked IN MY SPOT!!!!!!   MY spot.  The spot that has a name plate behind it on the wall that has MY name on it and MY Title.  MINE! MY spot!  Internally I just blew up.  But I managed to keep it together a few more minutes.  I made a comment but I kept it cool.

Then I got inside.  30 minutes later I cannot log on to the network because my account has been DISABLED!  Disabled? Are they trying to tell me something.  Ok so I limp a little when I am really REALLY sore but DISABLED?!?

4 phone calls and 3 hours later I am live.  800 emails await.  Thank you Tracey for cleaning most of them up for me.  But still 800?  I settle in with my Mocha Latte to clean them up.

Then someone comes and in and tells me I'm needed outside.  Why?  Well apparently someone has collapsed outside our building after leaving reception.  An Ambulance has been called.  I want to say 'so?'.  But I remember that I am the boss.  It is 12.30 by now.  I am hungry and was gonna eat my sandwich ( thank you hubby) drink my latte and delete emails.  Instead I am standing outside in 30+ degree heat with 10 bystanders hovering and 2 ambulance officers working.  They take the lady to hospital and I am left with her 2 young children and half dozen bystanders all trying to help.

Long story short the kids are finally collected at 4.15pm. My conference room, where I had them camped out, looks like - oh hell what do you think two bored kids with whiteboard markers, 4 bags of chips and a giant cookie would leave my conference room looking like?  At least the crumbs can be vacuumed by the cleaner - blue marker on my pristine walls is another story.

I spent my entire afternoon between calls and the conference room.  I never got to those emails or the files on my desk.

Day 1 failed.  It failed spectacularly.  I lost my cool  a couple of times. 

4.30pm.  I say 'fuck it, I'm going home'. I am tired already, my joints are screaming from standing outside for an hour and then parading back and forth to the conference room.  I have a headache.

I go home and pour myself a vodka and orange and slam that down.  Not enough! I dilute a pear cider with sprite and slam that down.  I eat my dinner without even knowing I am eating as I narrate the days events to Big J and little j. 

All of a sudden it is 9.30pm.

I'm off to bed.  Must remember to take the phone with me since I am on-call.  I call the after hours officer and threaten to shoot him if he wakes me tonight.

All in all a good first day don't you think? 

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Oh crap.... hunneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee can I have a scotch and coke please?

Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better,Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better, Day 2 will be better.

It better be.

6 comments:

  1. I was out for eight and a half months. Ohmm is not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I love a kindred spirit. Is it us or is it just that we work in direct service delivery where we have to deal with people?

      Delete
  2. Just keep thinking good thoughts and know that out in cyberspace there are people who love you and are sending you calm vibes! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, GF, hope springs eternal..........hang tuff hun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hanging GF, hanging! Expect to debrief on the weekend. Make time and get comfy LOL.

      Delete

Join in the fun and talk to me...