Autumn

Autumn

Monday, December 12, 2011

American football... really? FOOTball???

 Ok so I am being subjected to the American Football playoffs... hubby is an American.


I dutifully sat with him to watch, after all I usually control the channel selection and so it was only fair I give him this.

I already knew that not only does this game have nothing to do with the foot except occasionally, but the language is as alien as Klingon.

So, someone please explain to me what " They fricked them with the okey doke" means.  I mean, honestly, I have a dirty mind at the best of times but even MY mind boggles at this one.  Come on now gents out there - please explain.

I confess I enjoyed watching the game, even though it took nearly 4 hours.  Why did I enjoy it?  Because of the commentary and the interviews.  Seriously people have ANY of those commentators actually gone to school, not to mention the players?

One guy, commenting on the supposed brilliance of a player, praised the player's "memorisation " of the plays.

This is not Jeff's team I just like the picture!
Another commentator lauded a player who made it to the big leagues in NFL after only ONE year of basketball training!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So that's what my hubby did wrong!  He didn't practice basketball hard enough to make it to college football.

By the time I heard the phrase "that was a clean hit" in terms of the referee's ruling on one player canonballing another,  I was ready to shoot the television.  A clean hit? As opposed to what I wonder...a fatal hit?

Ok so I said I enjoyed it, not to say it didn't drive me nuts.  I would have taken down hundreds more gems but honestly I actually couldn't even understand most of what they were saying.  Funny thing was that neither could hubby !!!  Apparently he watches for the game.  But, he only looked up during the Time-outs when the cheerleaders were on the field.





Ok so in Australia we have Australian Rules Football - but don't get me started on that. because I think we would probably trump the US commentators well and truly with our own version of idiocy.


Funny thing though - Hubby's American team and my Aussie Football team have the same colour uniforms - black and yellow.  A marriage made in heaven......Yikes!!!We should have a playoff between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Richmond Tigers.  Now THAT I would watch.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like that one guy's hiding the football under his shirt.
    "Okey Doke" (in my understanding) is to fake your opponent out by acting all "gosh golly" and like you're not intending on doing anything. Then-wham!
    I agree with you about the name "football." That's what "soccer" should be called (and is, by those using the metric system). American Football should be called something called "Tackle Ball."
    But, don't your breath waiting for that to happen.
    By the way, my brother's (and my daughter's) favorite team is the Steelers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think "Armoured pansies" would work best. They seem to be the only sportsmen in the world who look like Knights going to battle.

    cheers Al.

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...