Autumn

Autumn

Monday, August 29, 2011

The treasures in the garage

I have spent weeks and months now trying to buy little things for the house that I feel will make it a bit more homey.  But of course I am not rich and so I am watching for sales and trawling through ebay.  

I have been successful too - replacing things which were bought on the cheap many years ago, by  replacing them on the even cheaper as I bag bargain after bargain on ebay.  With a little spit and polish the house is starting to look a little closer to classy/homey rather cheap and nasty. 

The thing is someone asked me recently why I was buying old and second hand when I could now, with just a bit of economy, save up for brand new stuff.  I got very huffy and said 'it is not OLD stuff, it is VINTAGE'.  There's a difference you know.

I recently acquired an Eames era, teak lounge suite.  It is gorgeous with its 2 swivel chairs and the nice bed settee couch which I wanted for the storage ability under it.  It has 2 footstools that with a whisk of the hand (ie lifting off of the cushion) become extra coffee tables.  A month before I bought another Eames teak recliner chair on ebay - purchase price $1.25.  My house is starting to look a bit 60's sleek and teak.  I love it.

 As I explained to my cheeky friend that when you live in a 40 year old house you can't put brand new glossy furniture in it - it doesn't look right.  She scoffed. I don't care.  She may know design trends (she studied you know! pffft!)  But I know what makes me happy.  And this stuff does.

So back to the original reason for this post.....

I still need some storage type things for the back veranda, and I have been trawling the net for stuff.   As I stood in the garage an hour ago putting on the second coat of varnish on my new (bought from ebay for $60) laundry door, I looked up and saw the old louvred kitchen pantry from the old house (17 years ago) sitting dutifully and patiently off to the side.  Dear old thing.  It is in perfect condition, just a bit dusty and well used.  It has never complained about being left in the dark recesses of the garage and has housed many things at different times.  Right now it is full of old soccer balls, footballs, tennis balls, electrical wires and dust fuzzies.  I must say I felt a strange nostalgia creep into my bones.  I finished painting the door and came in for a rest.  As I sit here drinking my coffee it occurs to me that I have something here worth probably nothing out there but full of memories for me. 

First it was a cupboard for the laundry in the old house.   Then when I replaced the single laundry trough with a double I had plenty of storage for laundry things.  So then it became a toy cupboard for my son.  When we moved to this house it became storage for all the pet things, food, toys, leads, balls, worming pills and flea powders.   When the dog, and a succession of cats, died  it went into the garage where it has doubled as extra pantry, storage for my crafts, tool box and ball receptacle.

So, since my son is now 18 and wont be needing all the plastic balls it is time to rejuvenate and re-position my single pantry cupboard.  In a few minutes I will go out, empty it, clean it, start sanding and painting it and it will take up a new position on the veranda with pride of place as the new pillow and blanket cupboard for the outdoor furniture. 

Why love some else's pre-loved goodies when I have some of my very own.


******

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join in the fun and talk to me...