Autumn

Autumn

Saturday, September 3, 2011

What made me happy today (this time really today) #11

Ok so I took a 99cent packet of no name brand butter cake mix that comes in a sealed plastic bad - no box even - and prepared it as per instructions, added 1/4 cup coconut, 1/4 cup orange juice and 2 Tbs of custard powder and mixed in.  Baked it as per instructions and for, say, $3 and bare minutes of my time I have a cake worthy of a 'name brand' shop.

In this day and age when money seems to just fall through our fingers what a bonus.


Tip of the day: keep a few packs of no name brand cake mixes in the pantry.  That way you don't have to store flour, or baking powder, or any of those other baking mysteries that apparently go off and are delicious to weevils.  And you can add just about ANYTHING to them to make a fantastic last minute cake.   A basic sponge cake will cost you $10 and the trip to the shop.  This way when the call comes and they are on their way over for coffee you can just whip this together and by the time they get there and the coffee is made and everyone has settled...warm cake fresh from the oven........ bliss, bliss and more bliss. Not to mention muffled grunts of approval.  I love my life.....


*****

2 comments:

  1. Hey Marlia, super tip! I love cake. Let me eat lots and lots of cake ...

    So, in thanks, here's a super quick, super cheap candy trick.

    Pioneer Potato Candy

    Mash one small, peeled, boiled potato and mix in powdered sugar until you can roll firm balls of dough. About an inch in diameter (you can add flavoring as well, vanilla, maple, lemon ...) Roll the balls in melted chocolate and then in crushed candy, chopped nuts, or coconut, if you wish.
    Use the smallest potato you can find because it will suck up lots of powered sugar. Make sure that the filling is completely covered. Tastes expensive. No one will believe you used a potato!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly ARE a diva - I will try your recipe. My hubby is an american and sometimes he is homesick for things uniquely american.....I am assuming this recipe is just that since i have never heard of anything like it.

    I'll let you know how it turns out...

    ReplyDelete

Join in the fun and talk to me...