Autumn

Autumn

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Life is a game of DodgeBall...

So.... 2 days ago hubby comes home with a slight medical problem I had a lot of fun with at his expense.  But then it was the second time in 6 months so this time no mucking around and off to the doctor the next morning with him.

That was yesterday.  Doctor says "hmm we need an ultrasound".

So off to what should have given me more ammo for fun tonight with jokes about KY jelly in certain nether regions being wasted.

That was this morning.

Tonight I sit here trying sooooooo darned hard not to cry.  We have each taken a corner of the room and the big fat white howling elephant in the room has a name that starts with "C".

Out of the blue.  Out of nowhere.

A swelling in the groin = possible cancer on the kidney.  6 months ago there was nothing there. Now a 2-inch thing that looks like fairy floss - cotton candy for the Americans in the wings - is carcinoma-like.

Jeff is 44 years old.

We met on March 21, 2001 when I travelled to upstate New York to meet a friend - him.

He proposed on April 19 2001.

He moved to Melbourne to be with me in February 2002.

We got married April 19 2011 on our 10th anniversary from the first proposal.

I didn't want a relationship with a man so much younger than me.  I didn't want a relationship - period!  But he was persuasive.

I didn't want to lumber him with a woman 9 years older who might become infirm and need looking after.  I must be psychic because 4 years after he came here I was diagnosed with  rheumatoid arthritis.  Not a death sentence, but a life sentence.  After that I didn't want to marry him because I didn't want him to become my nursemaid. I am proud that way.

Now I sit here and I am scared to death.  Not scared that I will lose my carer, but that I will lose my husband.  After making him wait 10 years and not wanting to be a Mrs again - it is suddenly so precious to me.

My stomach won't settle, my heart is palpitating.  I am telling myself it will turn out to just be a cyst.  I am telling that to myself.  But then I remember how the ultrasonographer wouldn't let him leave and then came out and told him to go straight back to the doctor, right then and there, and handed him the films and a letter.

I joke to myself that it will be a false alarm and we will laugh tomorrow and then I remember that the Doctor said the 'c' word and dialled the Urologist right then and there and booked us in for tomorrow.

I am trying to stay calm but I just can't.  Kim met Jeff 10 years ago as he travelled through LAX to Melbourne.  Kim's daughter is at this moment undergoing chemo. I need to talk to her but she is sleeping right now.

I need to talk to someone - anyone - who is not inside the family. I don't want to panic the family but my face won't cooperate.

This time tomorrow I sooooooo want to be saying 'phew - false alarm'.  But I am so so so so very very scared right now.

One year ago, almost, I was laughing as we cut our wedding cake. I can't even remember why I was laughing now, but I was in a fit of giggles.  A blushing bride at 52, never ever having believed that I could ever find joy in life after my history.



Well the bottom line is this.  If it is a false alarm I will post late tomorrow night.  And if it is not.......well, I'm not religious but KAT I may need some of your prayers.

Not looking for sympathy my friends - but sooooo needed to unload this somewhere.  I have had a lot of friends and family succumb, I watch TV and hear all the talk.  But no one EVER mentioned the mind numbing fear that makes you nauseous and incapable of rational thought while you wait for the final diagnosis.

Kimmy - NOW I REALLY know what you are going through.

Fingers, toes and eyes all crossed for tomorrow.


6 comments:

  1. Oh my friend, everything I can cross is crossed and I am with you in spirit and in love...I'm here for you with understanding and compassion.....(((((((((gentlehugs))))))))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really hope things will turn around. I will really pray for your husband and you. If many people pray it will be so much easier. Please take care and anytime you want to speak to someone other than your family please feel free to contact me. I know you dont know me at all but my heart really aches.
    www.thoughtsofpaps.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Marlia, my heart goes out to you. You will be in my thoughts and prayers and I will definitely pray for your husband. If anyone knows exactly how you feel it is me. Five and a half years ago my husband had prostate cancer. I will never forget the months of tests and waiting and agonizing first getting the diagnosis and then visiting different doctors to learn about all the treatment options. I was numb as we went through all the motions. I felt like I had to be strong when he was around and when he wasn't I fell apart. It was the worst 3 months of my life. If there is anything I can do I am here for you. If you want to email me you can at avongranny1@gmail.com Love and prayers. Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, Paps and Karen.... thank you so much for your support. Amazing how knowing someone cares and thinks of you when you are in a slump can help you walk tall throughout the day. You are wonderful people, truly wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sending all my positive vibes to you and your husband. Keep thinking of a good outcome and it will give both of you the strength you need no matter what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you hun. That's the point isn't it - 'no matter what'. A timely reminder that life never stops no matter what. Very wise.

      Delete

Join in the fun and talk to me...